Science Manufacturing Process Operative approved for delivery
The Institute of Apprenticeships (IfA) has announced that another science industry Standard has now been approved for delivery – Science Manufacturing Process Operative (SMPO), Level 2.
The new Standard describes the job role that an apprentice will be doing and the skills required of them by the life sciences and industrial science sector.
A Science Manufacturing Process Operative will be involved in undertaking basic operations and monitoring of plant and equipment. Their working environment may require the use of specialist safety equipment. They may also have to comply with the requirements of Good Manufacturing Process (GMP) regulations if operating in a ‘clean room’ environment.
What apprentices will learn from this Standard:
- Preparing science manufacturing materials, plant and equipment, for hand or machine based process operations
- Performing operations and monitor basic science manufacturing process according to company safe working practices as directed by line manager
- Producing a representative sample of science manufacturing product for quality test purposes
- Making simple adjustments to the science manufacturing process to remedy problems
- Performing simple calculations associated with the operation
The Standard, including the Assessment Plan has, been developed by the Life Science & Industrial Science (LS&IS) Trailblazer which is supported by the the Science Industry Partnership.
The typical duration of this Standard is 18 months and it receives maximum funding of £6000 (Funding Band 8).
SIAS, an independent assessment service for science industry apprenticeships, now offers end-point assessment for this Standard.